People posing as fraud investigators have been known to cold call individuals. They are:
- requesting personal details
- asking people to withdraw large amounts of money
- asking people to meet them at a given location
The callers often claim to be from the 'fraud squad' in London and are investigating financial organisations.
Please note, investigators from the Serious Fraud Office do not call themselves fraud squad officers and they would never ask you to withdraw money.
If anyone contacts you claiming to be from the Serious Fraud Office, please be aware that we will only ever communicate with you:
- by telephone (for security reasons we withhold our number)
- in writing (on official headed paper)
- by email (from someone with @sfo.gsi.gov.uk at the end of the email address)
- by fax (on official headed paper).
If you are concerned about the authenticity of a phone call, confirm the name of the caller and tell them that you will call them back. To do this please dial our switchboard on 0207 239 7272 and ask to be put through to the named individual. We will then be able to confirm whether the name you have is an SFO employee.