9 October, 2012 | Statements
The Serious Fraud Office has reviewed its policies on facilitation payments, business expenditure (hospitality) and corporate self-reporting. The purpose is to:
- restate the SFO’s primary role as an investigator and prosecutor of serious or complex fraud, including corruption;
- ensure there is consistency with other prosecuting bodies; and
- meet certain OECD recommendations.
The Director of the SFO, David Green CB QC, wishes to re-emphasise that all decisions to prosecute unlawful activity will be governed by the Full Code Test in the Code for Crown Prosecutors and the applicable joint SFO/CPS prosecution guidance.
The revised statements of policy can be found on the website:
- Facilitation payments
- Business expenditure (eg hospitality and gifts)
Notes for editors:
- See Q and A page relating to revised policies.